In Correggio, Italy, early 1920, we find Giovanni Recordati working in a tiny laboratory installed in the back of his family’s pharmacy. With a passion to help people, he’s trying to find better combinations of existing treatments, as he believes more can be done to help those living with conditions that significantly impact their ability to live a full life.
Recordati started by focussing on where help was needed most – common illnesses that affect large populations day-to-day. The illnesses right in front of us, where we knew more could be done to help – from heart conditions, mental illness to prostate cancer. But as the world has grown around us, so has the need.
With the huge benefits of medical innovation, come discoveries of rare, devastating conditions, where for some, no treatment exists at all – with 7,000 known rare diseases, less than 10% have an available treatment option. So, since 2007, Recordati has also focused on helping the few who suffer from little known conditions such as Cushing’s disease, acromegaly, porphyria to rare cancers like high-risk neuroblastoma.
Today, almost 100 years and three generations later, Giovanni’s focus and determination lives on. His company, Recordati, is now a global pharmaceutical group, listed on the Italian stock exchange, with over 4,300 employees.
Every day, in every way, we do everything possible so that people can live full lives – we do this together, working closely with suppliers, partners and doctors from Brazil to the Far East, in around 150 countries. We will always continue to build with our people, planet, community, and our own roots, at our heart.
Underpinned by a history of strong financial delivery, we will continue to grow from within, capture opportunities within our own pipeline, and identify opportunities to bring in new treatments through partnerships & acquisitions across all our businesses.
Giovanni Recordati founds the Laboratorio Farmacologico Reggiano in Correggio (RE, Italy)
Transfer of headquarters to Milan
Recordati – Syntex (now part of Roche) licence agreement. Located in Silicon Valley, Syntex was a pioneering company in the study and synthesis of steroid hormones
Inauguration of the pharmaceutical chemical plant in Campoverde di Aprilia
Listing on the Italian Stock Exchange
Beginning the process of internationalisation – Establishment of a subsidiary in Spain, now called Casen Recordati
Acquisition of Doms Adrian (France)
Acquisition of Bouchara (France)
Establishment of Bouchara Recordati in France
- Acquisition of Merckle Recordati in Germany, now Recordati Pharma
- Establishment of Recordati Pharmaceuticals in the United Kingdom
- Establishment of Recordati Hellas in Greece
- Establishment of the new pharmaceutical chemical plant in Cork, Ireland
Acquisition of the Grupo Jaba companies in Portugal, today Jaba Recordati
Entry to the rare diseases sector with the acquisition of Orphan Europe, now Recordati Rare Diseases
- Acquisition of FIC and FIC Médical, dedicated to the registration and promotion of pharmaceutical products in Russia and other Commonwealth of Independent States (C.I.S.) countries
- Acquisition of Yeni Ilaç in Turkey, today Recordati Ilaç
Acquisition of Herbacos-Bofarma in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, today Herbacos Recordati
Acquisition of ArtMed International in Romania, now Recordati Romania
Acquisition of Dr. F. Frik Ilaç in Turkey, now Recordati Ilaç
- Entry into the US market rare diseases sector
- Acquisition of product portfolio for the treatment of a number of rare diseases in the US
- Acquisition of Farma-Projekt in Poland, now Recordati Polska
- Acquisition of Opalia Pharma and its cGMP certified production facilities in Tunisia, now Opalia Recordati
- Acquisition of Laboratorios Casen Fleet and its cGMP certified production facilities in Spain, now Casen Recordati
Establishment of new subsidiaries in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia
- SPC and OTC portfolio strengthened
- Acquisition of Italchimici in Italy
- Acquisition of Pro Farma AG, now Recordati AG, in Switzerland and Austria
- Acquisition of Natural Point in Italy
- Acquisition of Tonipharm in France
- Establishment of new subsidiaries in Japan and Australia
- Expansion of the rare diseases product portfolio: entry into the endocrinology sector
- Establishment of Recordati Bulgaria
- Acquisition of EUSA Pharma (UK) Ltd, a global specialist pharmaceutical company focused on rare diseases and niche oncology
Recordati announces an agreement with GSK to commercialize Avodart® (dutasteride) and Combodart®/Duodart®